Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Great Character Conundrum

As you've probably guessed from my blog, I like to read. It's one of my favorite past times. I love to escape to far off or nearby places through different characters and their back stories.


I have a problem though. As I've been reading all these books the past couple of weeks to catch up on my goal of 50+ books this 2013 year, I've noticed what seems to be a pattern. All the heroines are short, like between 5'2" and 5'5" and all the heroes around around 6' tall or more.

Why is that?

I feel as if that is a bit impractical. Yes, we all dream of dating/marrying the tall, dark and handsome type that is taller than us so that we fit perfectly into him, but it's just not practical. For example, my husband is only about 3 inches taller than me, but he's still perfect. Why do we glorify the Greek god style of man?

Now, don't get me wrong. I love to drool over the descriptions of Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome each time I read a book! But, why do they have to be that way? Why can't the men be under 6'? And, why can't the women be taller than 5'5"? When I read a book, I feel very out of sorts because I want to relate to the characters all the way around. It's hard when you feel like a monster against the height of each character.

Do you feel the same way? Do you think it's odd the height differential between male and female characters when you read a book?

source :: aliceinreaderland

1 comment:

  1. Sully is like an inch taller than me. I always wanted someone at least a few inches taller than me...and then I ended up being 5'9" and that really eliminated the pool of taller than me guys. I feel like a giant too...

    ReplyDelete